Thursday, January 16, 2014

Repainting Early War Germans

 It must have been over 10 years ago that the usual suspects of this group decided to start WWII gaming. As at time it took ages to get something done we decided to take a shortcut and use a painting service so we could start gaming quickly. The plan was simple, we buy our stuff at Salute and hand it over to Sanath of Fernando Enterprises. I'm not aware of their quality today but at that time they had some very talented painters who did the most gorgeous ancient and Roman armies for us. I will take some pictures soon to show you these as well.                                                                                               I remember meeting with Sanath the day after Salute at a Hotel in the area and he welcomed us with a whole entourage of people who accompanied him. At the time Crusader sold unit boxes with a nice picture on it so we handed over the Germans, Brits and French platoons and pointed to the boxes; Please paint it like that and all is fine.
Six weeks later we received the figures and they were nicely painted. Nicely painted but not completely historically correct. The German uniform was too blue to my taste and the equipment was simply wrong. Well, not their fault, I should have been more explicit with my instructions so I decided not to bother and simply get them on the table for some good games using the Iran Ivan rules.
For the last few years these Germans lived in a forgotten box but with the release of Chain of Command I knew they were going to see some actions so I decided to repaint parts of them so at least I am happy with them. To get rid of the blueish tone I did a few tests and in the end decided that Vallejo 920 would do the trick on the uniform for me.
Most of the faces, trousers, boots and rifles have survived, all other parts repainted...
Support will follow soon.

Original paintjob

Original paintjob
The result:









German Mortar team from Warlord. Recently painted to complement the platoon






14 comments:

  1. I agree the originals while cleanly painted were indeed wrong, but your repaints have not only put them back into the correct historical uniforms, but also dare I say improved the paint job itself. What were once once nicely painted figures have turned into lovely painted figures!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the originals were a little too blue for me too. Your rework is striking. Great results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent work. I like the early war green 'grey' German uniforms and you've done a wonderful job in spiffing them up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good work Mike !

    Looking forwar to your first CoC AAR.

    Best regards Michael

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, a good rework!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've made a cracking repainting job there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quite a transformation, it is funny how things like that can really niggle you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice repaints Mike! The bases look great too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see what you mean with the original colour and now they look spot on. Fantastic job on the mortar team as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Uttarakhand Board Of School Education (UBSE) Responsible For Conducting 12th Annual Examination Starting 12th Class Exam might begin on May 4 and might end on May 22, 2021, UBSE 12th Model Paper 2021 UBSE is an company of Government of Uttarakhand entrusted with the Responsibilities of Prescribing courses of instructions.

    ReplyDelete